Thursday, March 17, 2011

Liz at SXSW- From horror to romantic comedy and dramas

Wednesday was an interesting day of films for me as I stayed in the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar area for most of my business from 9:30 am to almost 6pm.

I was able to attend another one of the SXFantastic film screenings, selected by the Fantastic Fest folks. I viewed 'Kill List' and it is a very good film and great departure from the previous film I saw, Jez Jerzy (George the Hedgehog). 'Kill List' keeps the viewer very much intrigued with the characters and their actions, as compared to one about a hedgehog. Both hail from different countries, but I prefer the film with humans over the one about a hedgehog, who somehow thinks and acts as if he is a human, including getting the girl; a human girl at that!

I took a break over at Casa Garcia's and had some yummy food to keep me going for the rest of the day. The staff is always very attentive to me and give me a quiet space to think, or just get refueled while I run from one screening to another during this city's film festivals (this is my fourth since September 2010).

Later that afternoon, I was glad to catch the film from Chile, 'F*** My Life' (Que Pena Tu Vida) and it is a film that connects the viewer with the man-boy who has his ups and downs in life. Typical to some people, he does not know what he has until he gives it up, then he crys about it- almost forever. It is funny to see the protagonist go from day to day in his pursuit of whatever he is chasing that day. There are some very funny scenes and if a romantic comedy is your fancy, there is another screening tonight at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar Theater at 8pm. There are still single ticket sales available to the films, but I would advise to arrive early to secure tickets.

Just as a reminder, Sudor Frio (Cold Sweat), from Argentina, is also screening tonight at the Alamo South Lamar Theater tonight too, starting at 11:30pm. This is part of the SXFantastic films presented, so it will be a drastic change from the romantic comedy of 'F*** My Life'.

I ran back into the Capital area looking for parking in order to try to get into the film screening of 'The Beaver' by director Jodie Foster. How lucky I was to find a free space close enough to get into the badge line and join my friends and fellow critics. I am so glad I did not miss this film and throughly enjoyed the film with the cast that includes Jodie Foster, Mel Gibson and Anton Yelchin. The Q&A after the film was also quite informative. I certainly hope this has a theatrical release in the near future.

Jodie flew in from Paris where she is shooting another film and was flying back to finish the project. The audience in attendance was very lucky to have had the opportunity to hear from her during SXSW, considering her other current film work. Keep your eyes open for this drama, based on a screenplay by Austin based writer, Kyle Killen.

Hope the rest of this day is a good one for you. I am wearing green just in case for this holiday.
Feliz Dia de San Patricio!
sub-title= Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment